This is the first chapter of the series – automation testing which is written to provide an overview about software automation testing.
WHAT IS SOFTWARE AUTOMATION TESTING?
Software needs thorough and regressive testing before handing over to the clients or end users. We can test software using various methods. One of the most efficient ways to perform software testing is through automation.
Basically automated software testing is a method to test software in which we script the tests and execute using automation tools. These tests are run again and again without any manual interventions.
That raises a good question – can we automate all the tests?
CAN WE AUTOMATE ALL THE TESTS?
Well, the answer is no. Automating all the testing is not possible and it is not necessary as well. Below are some of the criteria by which we can find out whether a particular test is a candidate for automation or not.
– Identify tests that need to be run frequently in multiple browsers or in different hardware or in different platforms.
– Analyze whether the tests cover VBFs (Valued Business Functions.
– List out the tests that need different data set.
– Identify tests which cannot be performed manually.
– List out the tests that take a lot of manual effort while testing.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD AUTOMATION TEST
Automation testing is so attractive to managers and leaderships in any organization. In the process of developing the automation suite, we tend to analyze whether the automation suite we are building are really good enough or not. Having automation suite just for the shake of building reputation is not going to help anyone. Below are some of the characteristics, we need to consider, in order to qualify a test as a good automation test.
– Covers both positive and negative scenarios.
– Validates both front end and back end.
– Runs with minimal manual interventions.
– Scripts are more robust and do not comprise of hard coded test data or any values.
– Generates reports.
– Carries out best development practices.
BENEFITS OF AUTOMATION TESTING
Below are some of the major benefits of building and implementing automation suite.
– Reduces human effort so helps in saving time and money.
– Increases efficiency with capability to run repeated tests.
– Enhances test coverage, and thus software quality.
– Increases accuracy of tests reducing human errors.
AUTOMATION TESTING PROCESS
Overall, automation testing is a way to bring in efficiency in the process of testing code and produce a quality product.